There are several different treatments for removing or reducing the appearance of scars and they all offer the benefit of clear skin again. If you have scars that were left behind from acne when you were a teenager or if you have been in an accident or had surgery and are left with scars, they may be affecting your self-esteem. You don’t need to keep those scars the rest of your life. We offer a few scar treatment choices that may help improve your appearance.
Scars are formed as part of the natural healing process of your body. There are several types of scars, including keloid scars that are raised above the skin’s surface and beyond the sides of the injury. Hypertrophic scars are also raised a bit but stay within the boundary of the injury. Contracture scars are usually formed after a burn. Acne can leave several types of scars including ones that look like tiny holes in the skin.
Even though scars cannot be removed completely, here are the most commonly used scar treatments that may reduce their appearance:
• Laser treatments are considered the best way to reduce the appearance of most scars. We use several types of lasers, some of which remove the surface layers of skin. Laser resurfacing removes the top layers of skin to stimulate collagen production. We have new laser technology for laser resurfacing that may not affect the top layers of skin but focus on the deep layers to stimulate the production of collagen. This type of treatment requires a shorter recovery time than traditional laser resurfacing or microdermabrasion.
• Topical treatments such as creams with specific vitamins and other skin-care products may help reduce the scar’s appearance. Rather than using over-the-counter creams that may have a minimal amount of the active ingredient, we can prescribe skin care products that are specifically for your requirements that contain more of the active ingredient.
• Dermabrasion and the milder microdermabrasion are cosmetic treatments that gently sand away the surface layers of skin. The collagen in the skin is stimulated to replace the damaged skin and there is no scar remaining. This treatment usually requires a few days of recovery time.
• For scars that look like pits, often called ice pick scars, there are fillers that are injected into the scar to bring it up to the level of the skin. These are very effective but may need to be repeated every few months as the filler is gradually absorbed by the body.
• Microneedling involves a device that makes tiny channels in the skin. This stimulates the body to produce collagen to heal the puncture effectively removing the scar.
If you have scars anywhere on your body from surgery, an injury or acne, we offer several forms of scar treatment to reduce their appearance. To have your scars examined and determine the best treatment, we invite you to reach out and make an appointment with Bentley Skincare & Wellness & Wellness! At our convenient location in Springfield, MO, our caring team of professionals will be pleased to explain your full range of options and answer any questions you may have. Contact us today to set up your consultation – we look forward to speaking with you!